Others (under construction)

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Jirrahlinga @ Victoria, Melbourne

I thought I wouldn't be able to see the local animals during this trip but I was wrong. Christina planned a visit to Jirrahlinga for us. Jirrahlinga is like a mini Australian-animal-only zoo. It was about half an hour from her house.

We reached here at about 10.15am.


Entrance fee per adult was AUD15. The thought of converting didn't cross my mind. It does now, as I am typing. :). It's worth it, even after converting, so no worries.


We were greeted by cockatoos (if I'm not mistaken).


Wombats.... my favourite Australian soft-toy. More than 15 years ago, Rach gave me the first pair of soft-toy wombats and I love them. When I came here in 2002, I wanted so much to see wombats. I did then but it was sleeping and to far for me to get a good glimpse of it. Today I saw a few wombats closed up. Spotted one walking up and down. It looked as if it was exercising. Or maybe it fought with it's partner and don't know what to do now.... gosh.... I don't know, but it kept walking up and down for a VERY long time. Check out the video below if you don't believe me.


Swamp wallabies.


Koala Bear life activities.


We even got to pet a koala bear called Andy. It really looked like a soft-toy... feels like one too.



We spotted some on the trees.


One was posing for the camera, the other one prefers to sleep. These are REAL koala bears. Look fake, don't they?


So cute to see them on the trees....


A native dog, also known as dingo.


Slimly reptiles..


Ducks, geese and swans...


And here you are, a kangaroo family. I assumed the one on the left is the father, and the mother is carrying little joey in her pouch.


We got to see how big the joey was too when it came out of the mother's pouch.


More kangaroos.


Adelia also wanted to be treated like the joey.


Emus living with the kangaroos.

A bat sleeping, 2 barn owls looking like ghosts and a couple of cockatiel.


A sulphur-creasted cockatoo, a peacock which refused to "open-up" when Adelia asked him to, and a native bird.


We spent about 1 hour and 20 minutes in Jirrahlinga. We saw all we wanted to see. * Satisfied smile plastered on our faces.



A video clip of the wombat exercising and a video clip of a kangaroo and its young. Enjoy.

No comments: