Others (under construction)

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Calendars

Have you seen this type of calendar in recent years? Only those old Chinese shopkeepers or our grandparents will insist of one every new year.

There are 2 sizes. The bigger one measures 9 1/2 X 7 inches and the smaller one, 3 1/2 X 2 1/2 inches. Someone wanted this calendar and last week I asked my family and friends if they had one of these to spare. All of them said no and I was forced to look for it in bookshops. A.Chris suggested that maybe I could find it in Singapore Street. Good Idea, I thought. So I went there.

Sad to day, all the shopkeepers shook their heads and said times were bad. They ordered very little and sell them off quickly. We even tried asking the owner of a Chinese medicine shop. He said all he had left was the smaller calendar and he gave it to us for free.

In the end, we found it in a Chinese bookstore. It cost RM7.50 and the paper quality was so bad. We had no choice.

This is how it looks like. The date is so big, no wonder all our grandparents wanted this type of calendar. At the bottom of the bigger calendar is all the Chinese horoscopes. This calendar is meant to be torn daily. Hmm... "torn daily".... this thought came to mind .. the past has gone, don't look back, the present is here, do something worthwhile today.

Nowadays people use this kind of calendar. Even some Malays or Indians wouldn't mind using it because..... take a closer look :

They have added in the Muslim and Indian dates. The Chinese calendars usually have a lot of details like school and public holidays, horse racing dates and all the Chinese festival season. (BTW, Ruth, this calendar is going your way. Look out for it and remember to mark my birthday. They seemed to have forgotten to colour my birth date red :) )

I prefer tabletop calendars. It's so useful and I can check the past, present and future dates. :). This is my one and only tabletop calendar and it was given to me by Dr Yeow with strings attached. It has 6 recipes in it and when he gave it to me, he asked me to make them for our cell meetings.

No comments: